20 April 2006

I caved in...

Today I decided to bite the bullet and hire myself a wedding coordinator. I know this sounds like a monumental waste of money, however I think it will be a godsend.

As it turns out, the place where we will be hosting our reception is a little on the unaccommodating side. Typically they do not allow people access to the reception hall until three hours before people start to arrive for cocktails. Nice…but not really practical. Everyone I know wants to see us get married at the church, therefore it leaves me in a bit of a lurch in terms of finding someone to set up the reception hall, meet the various vendors, etc. Quite personally, I don’t want to place that stress on my friends or family and I sure as hell don’t want to deal with it myself on the wedding day.

I still get entire creative control over the wedding. I still get to pick flowers, cake, decorations, etc. This just means that I’ll now have someone working behind the scenes to make sure that everything comes into fruition on the big day. In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t a huge wedding (100 people), but it’s amazing how much planning it still takes. I’m starting to wonder if it wouldn’t be simpler to go for something a little less conventional. It the end, I suppose it’s all about pleasing yourself and to heck with everyone else. I’m trying to teach this concept to my mother, who is still worried that we might be judged poorly if we don’t provide some form of Open bar. Here’s my take… “If you don’t like it, don’t bother showing up!”

It’s funny how weddings bring out our insecurities sometimes. When you think about it, it’s just one day of your life. I don’t need a huge fairytale production, just something elegant and simple.

I never thought that hiring a coordinator would be feasible, but this lady is affordable and came highly recommended. At any rate, I’ll be glad to know that all the irksome details are out of my hands. Now I can be golfing with the groom on the morning of the wedding! Okay...well maybe not. I’ll most likely be talking on the porcelain phone to my good friend Ralph.

No comments: