20 November 2006

Magically delicious

Saturday’s meal was a wonderful success. Good food, loads of wine, full tummies and happy friends! Dare I say, I’m actually starting to enjoy entertaining!

I have to admit, I ended up going the easy route with appetizers. I planned the menu with good intentions but time was not on my side on Saturday. Instead, I opted for some paté, Vinta crackers, grapes and brie cheese. It was a lazy and easy alternative, but always a crowd pleaser nonetheless.

The Tikka Masala turned out beautifully. I’m still not entirely sure what I ended up adding to the sauce, thanks to several glasses of wine. I’m quickly learning that, if you are the cook, it’s probably better to do the bulk of your drinking after the meal is complete. This being said, perhaps it was the wine that inspired me to start throwing spices in the curry at random. I have a vague recollection of what I used, but it turned out perfect! Maybe I do have a cook’s intuition after all?

Despite my tipsiness, I managed to pull of a good meal. The curry was accompanied with a bowl of basmati rice and a garden salad with apple wedges. I actually got comments on the lovely presentation…me…can you imagine? Not bad for a girl who considers “ham on a bagel” good eating.

Dessert was a simple affair. I ditched the fried plantain idea, as hubby said the produce wasn’t looking so good. Instead he picked up a chocolate pecan cake with caramel drizzle. Yummy, but I could have probably done better myself. Of course, Dan had to buy a mammoth-sized cake (I think it’s a guy thing). It is now occupying the entire top shelf of fridge and stares me in the face every time I open the door…I can hear it taunting me.

All in all, I’ll give myself a B + for my meal on Saturday. Next time I’ll have to leave myself more time to prepare appetizers and dessert. I tend to get carried away with cleaning; it’s hereditary.

Lessons learned:
  • Chopping veggies and preparing meat before guests arrive was a good idea…no mess, no stress!
  • Drink in moderation before cooking!
  • Have “good” spices on hand in case of drunkenness (Thank God I didn’t use anything sketchy)
  • People really DON’T care whether you baseboards are clean or not.
  • Have hubby do the cleanup – Go raibh mile maith agat, a ghra!
  • Relax & Enjoy – you are among friends!
  • No comments: