28 March 2008

Tales of the "traveling" redhead...

To say that I’m tired of snow would be an understatement; just the thought of it makes me cringe. I have to continually remind myself that it is Spring, although you wouldn’t know it by looking out the window. I’m still greeted with the horrible and oppressive wall of white every time I walk out my front door. For well over a month I have tried to remain positive and assure myself that the big thaw is just around the corner, but I’ve finally given up hope for a normal season. So what is a girl to do with all this snow, you ask? Hightail it the heck out of here, I say!

One month from now, I’ll be heading to sunny Playa Del Carmen in Mexico. It was a fairly impulsive decision, seeing as I never planned on heading South this year. To be perfectly honest, until a week ago I never even really considered Mexico as a place I wanted to go. I’m not one for plunking my posterior on a beach for countless days (boring!), I much rather be exploring and soaking up some local history and culture. What surprised me was that I could get all these things just south of Playa Del Carmen. Rather than the conventional apartment-style resorts crammed on one strip of beach, à la Cancun, I’ve opted for a resort that abuts a more rugged stretch of coastline and a nature reserve complete with iguanas, flamingos, macaws and variety of other cool / slightly frightening wildlife. Another hook is the proximity that I will have to awesome snorkeling and plenty of Mayan ruins.

Dan and I are totally stoked to get away and have a change of scenery. I think the trip will provide us with a good mixture of both relaxation (hubby) and adventure (me). Now I just have to find a way to contain my excitement for the next month!

No comments: