16 May 2008

Cake and booze = awesomeness

I’m a week behind in posting this, but better late than never right? I assure you that the wait was well worth it as I’m supplying you with a great recipe for some “booze cake”

Last Sunday I was still suffering from a bout of Mexico withdrawal. Inspired by my strong affection for Piña Coladas, I decided to try out a new cake recipe for Mother’s Day. Had I known how hard it would be to find “Cream of Coconut,” I may have abandoned my plans. Thankfully, my wonderful and ‘very patient’ husband was finally able to rustle-up a few cans at the Canadian Superstore, his fourth attempt after a midnight search around the town’s 24-hour grocery stores.

I urge you to try this easy recipe. It’s moist, it’s tropical and it’s ideal for a summer BBQ or party. The flavor was bang on – the perfect cake equivalent of a real Piña Colada. You won’t be disappointed, nor will your guests for that matter!

Piña Colada Cake:

Ingredients:
1 package yellow cake mix
1 package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
1 can Cream of Coconut (NOT coconut milk)
1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp. rum (separate)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 can crushed pineapple, well drained

Optional Garnish:
whipped cream, pineapple slices, maraschino cherries & toasted coconut

Preparation
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl: Combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup cream of coconut, 1/2 cup rum, oil, and eggs. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Stir in drained crushed pineapple.
- Pour into a well greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from pan.
- With a table knife or skewer poke holes about 1 inch apart in cake almost to bottom.
- Combine remaining cream of coconut and rum; pour over cake.
- Chill thoroughly then garnish. Store in refrigerator.

Tip: Make you own whipped cream by blending a medium carton of “whipping cream” at high speed, adding a bit of sugar to taste. Wait until the cake is completely cool before icing with the cream. I added chunks of fresh pineapple around the base of the cake and cherries on top. Get creative and save me a slice!

No comments: