21 July 2008

The Billy Whitmore Experience…

“Who is Billy Whitmore?” you ask. To be perfectly honest, I haven’t the foggiest idea. What I do know, is that I apparently play on his recreational volleyball team every Sunday evening.

Last night our team managed to win two out of three games, a welcome change given the fact that we were thoroughly slaughter last week. While we do this for fun, it is always nice to pull ahead and not be at the bottom of the pack. It’s also nice when you happen to be matched with an opposing team that has a similar skill level; it makes for a better game for everyone.

Last night my serves were a bit off but I am happy to report that I finally seem to be grasping the concept of bumping/passing. When we first started out, three weeks ago, I had a bizarre tendency to rush the ball and the scramble underneath it…very much à la Scooby-Doo. (insert wild leg spinning cartoon noise). I still have my classic moments and fumbles but I’m learning to relax more now and let the ball come to me. I’m also trying to improve my open hand volley although I did bend my fingers back a little too far last night…ouch! At only 5’2”, I’m definitely not the team’s strongest link, but I’m starting to be able to hold my own a bit better…thank goodness.

I’m happy that I decided to play volleyball this summer; it has renewed my interest in team sports again. Even more surprising, is that I have finally found a physical activity that my husband seems to like. The fact that we both enjoy playing is an added bonus and it gives us something to look forward to each week, not to mention it’s a great way to let off some steam before we start our workweek. It’s always nice to end the weekend on a positive note and even better when you can share that exuberance together.

Keeps your fingers crossed folks! The BWE has three more games to play before the summer playoffs. With a bit of luck and a truckload of practice, maybe we’ll make a good standing in the end. Either way, it’s all fun.

No comments: