15 October 2008

Where have all the voters gone?

First of all, if you voted in last evening’s Federal election, I’d like to give you a hearty pat on the back and a firm handshake. Way to fulfill your civic duty! Whether the polls worked in your favour or not, you have played an active role in the democratic process and, as such, you have earned the right to gripe, complain and harangue your elected officials. Sadly, it seems that only 59% of the Canadian population has earned that privilege…

According to the latest national polling statistics, last evening’s election marked the lowest voter turnout in the history of Confederation. In a time where the global market is facing a major recession, you would think that more people would be concerned about the leadership and direction of the country. Perhaps it’s because we have it too good here in Canada; maybe we haven’t known enough hardship to warrant change and public interest. Maybe folks have lulled themselves into a false sense of comfort and apathy. Or perhaps, as much as I hate to think it, many Canadian’s have simply become ignorant.

And so today we once again find ourselves facing another Conservative minority government. I voted and I’m pleased with my decision and outcome. However, I have heard a considerable amount of people groaning this morning at the final results. Given last night’s voter turnout, I have to ask myself whether half of the whiners and complainers even bothered to visit their local polling station.

Wake up Canada! What is it going to take to make you care?

No comments: