18 December 2008

Look out Santa

One week until Christmas and I’m certainly giving the big guy a run for his money in the “rotund” competition. With all the holiday goodies that have passed though my still-freakish lips, you may find me behind the sleigh this year. I even find myself uttering “HoHoHo,” not simply because I’m jolly, but more because I’m out of breath. I guess we all know what the rambling redhead’s NY resolution will be this year!

Despite the proximity to Christmas I still find it hard to muster up my usual holiday spirit. The economy is crap and, to make matters worse, the Ottawa transit union is on strike. The entire city is hurting because of this strike: businesses are dead, people can’t get to their jobs, and the lousy weather and additional cars on the road make for long and painful commutes. Thankfully one of my colleagues (I have named her Saint-Anne), has agreed to drive me to and from work for the duration of the strike. Yesterday’s commute took two full hours…horrible! I’m very fortunate to have such a kind coworker living near me; others are stranded and trying to find ways into the city each day. Merry Christmas indeed…

In other news, do you know what I really want for Christmas? I want my damn stitches to dissolve and I want my lips back! Aren’t I just a big ‘oul ball of joy? Bah Humbug!

No comments: