10 May 2009

Happy Mother's Day

This year seems all the sweeter knowing that I’m a Mommy-to-be.  Although Mother’s Day has always been a big deal to me, I think I appreciate it just a little bit more now; next year will be even better!

Tonight I will be honouring my best friend, who also happens to be the woman that brought me into the world.
  There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t thank God that Mom is in my life and that I got to be her daughter.  She would argue that I have missed out on so much growing up because of her disability, but I disagree.   While we may not have been able to do some of the conventional Mother-Daughter activities, what we have is stronger that that – a deep and abiding affection and understanding for one another.   In many ways, I think that challenges she faced has brought us even closer over the years.  Now, as I prepare for motherhood, I can only wish that my own children will think the same of me some day. I hope that I am able to share the same sense of strength, love and support that I was fortunate to receive growing up.

Sadly, Mother’s Day, is not all sunshine and roses.
  It is also a sad reminder that my Mother-In-Law has passed on.  I’m finding it especially difficult this year, knowing all the wonderful moments she won’t be here to witness.  How blessed I was to have a second Mother and friend for eight years.   I have no doubt she would have been overjoyed about the baby and would have loved being a grandmother.  I know it’s not good to dwell on what should have been, but it’s hard not to.  

Now that I’ve managed to make myself sob (memories and pregnancy hormones are not a good mix), I think I will simply sign off by saying Happy Mother’s Day to all the wonderful mothers out there – past, present and to come!

No comments: