05 May 2009

The joys of pregnancy

I've heard that pregnancy can take a whooping out of your immune system before but I never really believed it until last week. For the past several years I have prided myself on being as healthy as a horse; I hadn’t caught a cold for over two years, nor had an upset stomach since adolescence. Enter pregnancy and suddenly it seems that I’m a walking target for germs and bugs. Sadly I caught a stomach virus from hubby, who had been ill the previous week. I thought I would be in the clear because he slept in the spare room and kept his distance but exactly one week later I was hit by a wave of nausea and vomiting that would last for 72 hours. In only 48 hours, I managed to lose 6 lbs. For the first time in my life, I had to take three consecutive sick days from the office; I hardly take one day each year. Never in my life has anything rendered me so completely pitiful or exhausted.

Thankfully, a week later, I am on the mend and started to regain my usual appetite yesterday. Thank goodness I tried to keep myself hydrated for the little one. I certainly hope that I never catch another one of these bugs during my pregnancy. My OBGYN told me that the virus likely hit me harder because of the changes that my body is going through…joy.

Speaking of changes (and cheesy segues), you should see the change s that have happened to my body over the past week. It seems like my belly grew overnight and I certainly have that ‘rotund’ shape going on. I still don’t think I’ve “popped” but my stomach is certainly attracting a few more stares from strangers. For the first time, I actually feel pregnant. I’m starting to get the sensation that things are really stretching out; it’s not painful but it certainly feels strang.

Yesterday I had my second prenatal appointment with the OBGYN and I’m happy to report that our little bean seems to have fared well through all of mommy’s vomiting bouts. We heard a nice strong heartbeat and the results from our IPS ultrasound were wonderful. Today I did my second, and last, portion of the IPS blood work to check for any chromosomal abnormalities; the results should be back within two weeks. I’m not worried and I’m glad that hubby and I made the decision to go ahead with the extra testing – knowledge is power in my opinion and it helps parents better prepare for worst-case scenarios.

I am also thrilled to report that we will be going for our next ultrasound in three weeks (May 29) to find out the gender of the baby. While I realize that there are so few surprises in life, I was too damn impatient to wait until the baby is born to find out. I’m also eager to buy some disgustingly over-gendered outfits for the baby – I can’t pass little paisley sundresses in the stores without squealing in delight. Either way I’ll be thrilled with whatever I have, so long as the baby is healthy.

And now, for your viewing pleasure, the lady without a waistline...



No comments: