29 July 2009

Work in progress

I am happy to report that the walls in the nursery are now painted. If you have been a longtime reader of the blog, you will undoubtedly already know that anything involving paint is a bit hit or miss in our house. Our first painting project, a miniscule downstairs powder room, nearly resulted in divorce two years ago. Needless to say, we decided to hire a professional to paint the remainder of the house. Best. Investment. Ever!

While hubby is a genius when it comes to tinkering with technology and electronics, he will readily admit that painting is not his forte (not that I’m any more experienced myself). The problem stems not so much from an inability, but rather an over-cautious nature that prevents him from putting enough paint on the brush; this results in several additional hours (or days) of work...not to mention coats of paint. In the end, however, he got the job done and that’s all that matters.

I now find myself impatiently drumming my fingers (a nasty habit brought on by nesting) as we await the next step in renovating the nursery – adding the chair rail. Hubby made a successful trip to Home Depot last night to purchase some 2 1/4” pine rail and he will be painting it this weekend. We will have to wait for the actual installation because my Father-In-Law is away on vacation right now and we need both his guidance and coping saw to get the job done. I’m very antsy to see the room put together but beggars can’t be choosers and we’re certainly fortunate to have the help of a handyman in the family. My only grievance is that I’ve been put on the “invalid wagon” due to pregnancy and I’m not advised to paint or do any of the fun work. I’m not a “sit back and watch” kind of gal and it’s driving me up the wall. I want to play too!

As the belly grows and my feet disappear a little more each day, I find myself itching go shopping. I think my lack of help in the nursery leaves me feeling like I should be doing “something” to prepare. Being that I can’t set anything up until the renovations are done, I’m going to have to sit idle for a while longer. I suppose I could always occupy my time with more list writing….sad, I know! It’s probably a good thing that I don’t enjoy relaxing; I have a distinct feeling that life will be full steam ahead when baby is here.

No comments: