15 August 2009

Like a kid at Christmas

I woke up this morning with that unmistakable sense of anticipation, the kind that makes you bolt upright and begin pacing the room in impatience. Hubby, on the other hand, is more like the parent in this situation – groaning, rolling over and eager to get a little more shuteye before having to deal with the caged animal running tracks in the carpet.

Whenever there is a big change about to happen in my life, I go through an emotional rollercoaster and typical chain of events. First I am gripped with fear and apprehension, causing sleepless nights, irritability and a heaping dose of self doubt. Finally, when I come around to the idea of change and have a clearer direction of where I’m headed (AKA working out financial feasibility), I get overly eager, excited and impatient to get the wheels in motion. Finally, when the ball is well and truly rolling, I plow ahead full steam with a vision in my mind and a planner/ organizer in my hand.

After talking to the bank last evening and having a market assessment done of our home, I think I can now comfortably say that I’ve fallen into the second stage of change management. I think we can feasibly handle the move, I’m excited and I’m chomping at the bit to make a deposit and sign on the dotted line. At this point I’m ready to move forward and not look back.

Things are going to start moving quickly. Hubby and I are going to visit the sales centre today to put down a deposit with the builder and draft up a purchase agreement. We also have an appointment this afternoon with the bank to discuss locking in at the current builder’s interest rate for 12 months. We will still have the option to shop around for a better rate however this will at least ensure us an interest rate that we know we could safely manage for the first five years in our new home. With the economy beginning to recover from the recession, interest rates are projected to increase rapidly so locking in imperative for us right now.

It has been a whirlwind week and the pace is only likely to continue for the rest of the month. I can’t believe I’m doing this while 30 weeks pregnant but I know we’re making this move for the future of our family and that thought alone keeps me “somewhat” sane and focused.

No comments: