22 November 2009

Finding the right mix

It has been a while since I’ve posted and, to reward you for your patience and understanding, today’s long-awaited update will be on the topic of POOP…aren’t you glad to checked in?

Last week I brought Drew to the pediatrician for his 1-month checkup. Because he has been acting like psycho baby for several weeks now I decided to mention his fussiness to the doctor. In short, she suggested that I try switching him over to soy-based formula because hubby had a bad allergy to cow’s milk protein when he was a baby and could only take soy. Of course, as luck would have it, I also had a tummy that wouldn’t settle as a newborn; my poor mother must have tried every formula on the market to no avail. It looks like history may be about to repeat itself.

We are now starting day two of the soy trial and it’s difficult to say whether this will be the solution to Drew’s colic. I have noticed that he is far less gassy after feedings however yesterday he was whining and crying due to constipation…I’ve seen my guinea pigs produce heartier poops. While things softened up did a bit better today (thanks to the help of sugar water), he’s letting out a pained high-pitched squeal and seems generally fussy. I have to give the new formula a try for at least a week to determine whether it will help us but I’m not holding out much hope.

I’m beyond frustrated and wish I could find a way to make my boy happy. I could try some other formulas but that would also put his poor little tummy through an uncomfortable adjustment period. My heart truly goes out to any parent that has had to deal with colic; it really is hell.

Please cross your fingers for this tired Momma and for little Drew. If we can’t find a “fix” through new formula, let’s hope he at least outgrows this soon. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again – he has far too much of his mother in him!

No comments: