29 January 2012

Chalkboard Hermetic Jars – FTW

I am proud to report that I have completed my first of several Pinterest-inspired projects. While most of you were likely doing more normal weekend-type things, like being sociable or generally useful around the house, I was meticulously painting chalkboard paint onto hermetic glass jars. “Why?” you ask. Because I can!

Actually, the reason (if you can justifiably call it ‘reason’) behind my project is that I am always looking for new ways to showcase food when entertaining. March is rapidly approaching and hubby and I will be hosting a joint St. Paddy’s/ Birthday party. Playing on the old Irish stereotype, I want to have a “build your own mashed potato” bar. Sure I could put the garnishes in regular old kitchen bowels, but where is the fun in that? Instead, wouldn’t it be superb to have each item in its own little glass jar with a chalkboard placard on it denoting its’ contents? Anyone? I tried to explain the necessity of such a concoction to hubby and I don’t think he got it – give the man potatoes in a gold bowl or an old shoe and he would be happy either way. However, being the patient hubby that he is, he allowed me to do my “thing” and watched Drew while I scoured the Dollar store for jars.

This was probably one of the easiest DIY projects I have ever completed, not to mention one of the cheapest. Eight glass hermetic jars cost me only $12. The chalkboard paint was $25 but I still have a myriad of other little projects I plan to use it on….yes there will be more! My next plan of attack will like be chalkboard dipped wine glasses (another cute party idea) and a menu board for the kitchen. While I’m at it, I might as well paint a little blackboard for the kiddo to use in his playroom.

I’ll be sure to post pictures of my little creations once the paint has dried. By then, I’ll like have a hundred other things on the go. I knew this website would spell trouble for me.

No comments: